Have you heard of FitMenCook? I know this slogan from the Instagram account of Kevin Curry who posts recipes (+ videos) all over social media. The food looks amazing, he looks amazing, and the recipes are posted in English and Spanish. Seriously?
Kevin recently released his first ebook called “No Cheats Needed: 6 Weeks to a Healthier, Better You” (a prerequisite to the official upcoming FitMenCook Cookbook that’s coming soon!). What I expected was a traditional cookbook with a little bit of insight into Kevin’s journey – but I ended up pleasantly surprised. Within the book, Kevin shares tidbits and motivation that helped him through his personal wellness journey in the form of weekly challenges and exercises. His motto is that “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin is also no stranger to the struggle of getting fit. (Which I love!) We all know that the struggle is more than real! It’s something that can consume your mind and leave you feeling distraught.
This book elicits action so you can commit to a healthier lifestyle and achieve your wellness goals. Each week has challenges, exercises and motivationals messages to assist in developing a new lifestyle. And of course, there are 45 of his followers all time favorite recipes too – along with a breakdown of super foods, complex carbs, protein, and a sample grocery list.
When Kevin reached out to me to talk about his book on MY, he also said that it’s okay to share a recipe, so below is the recipe that I am most excited about making. Each Sunday, I set aside time to make some meals for the week, and this recipe has been added to the menu for next week – stay tuned for photos on my own IG account. 🙂
- 2 lbs chicken breast (raw)
- 2 tbsp hot mustard (Asian style)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 1 tbsp garlic
- Juice from half orange
- In a large bowl, add chicken breast, mustard, garlic, honey, liquid aminos, and juice from the orange.
- Mix all ingredients and let chicken marinate for at least 20 - 30 minutes.
- Set oven to 450* F
- Place marinated chicken in heavy cast-iron skillet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro.
- Add 1 tbsp wheat or coconut flour to the sauces to thicken. (optional)
- For a golden color, after baking for 20 minutes, remove chicken from the oven. Set the oven to high broil. Spoon excess sauces over the chicken and then place back in the oven for 3-5 more minutes.
- MACRONUTRIENTS (per serving): 220 calories, 42g protein, 9g carbs, 2g fat
Doesn’t that look amazing? – and so simple? So many of the recipes in the book are super simple and not overly time consuming. The ingredients listed are also not intimidating. In writing this book, I feel that Kevin really ensured that everything was created in a manner that makes it simple to follow. Even for the busiest of people – the recipes aren’t intimidating to make when you get home from a busy day at work.
Overall, this was a quick and easy read, and I’m uber excited to go back through it and start testing out all of the recipes. Given that the holiday season is upon us and *cough cough* new year’s resolutions *cough*cough*, this is a great gift for you or anyone in your life looking to jump start their healthy lifestyle efforts in an un-intimidating way.
*In exchange for a post about this book, I was provided with a free copy. As usual – all words and opinions are my own.*