Stress kills – both literally and figuratively. When you’re stressed it can cause you to be sick – like I am now, it makes your mind cloudy, and just doesn’t feel good all around. Knowing that I really need to work on how I manage stress – I created my top 5 ways to relieve stress as a reminder to myself and hopefully as help to you too!
I know when I am stressed, I can’t really be productive and I get even more stressed about not being able to release the stress. Crazy, right? So here are my top 5 ways to relieve stress that I am carrying with me everyday.
1. SAYING MY MANTRA. Years ago when I was seeing a therapist for the first time to deal with some anxiety after a car accident, I learned to develop a mantra. Safe. God. Strong. Beautiful. I say those 4 words over again, while breathing deeply until I can calm myself down. At first I would have to sit and repeat the mantra for a good 10 minutes or so, but now, I can get into a more relaxed state in a matter of minutes.
2. TAKE A WALK AROUND THE BLOCK. This is how I combat stress at work – when something gets me upset, I take a walk. In most cases, there is not a lot that needs to be handled right in the moment that it happens, so I take a 5-10 minute walk around the campus. I clear my head, say my mantra, and take myself out of the stressful situation for a few moments so I can think clearly.
If I’m home, or it’s later in my work day, I may even walk myself to the gym so I can do some HIIT cardio and work out my stress even more. There’s nothing like a little sweat and trap music to make my stress go away.
3. POP A RESCUE PASTILLES. These little guys have become a go-to instant stress reliever for me. They look like candy, but they are packed with natural goodness that helps me stress less and feel focused. I picked up a pack at my local pharmacy in the natural remedies section and was so excited to find out they are natural/homeopathic AND developed by a doctor, have no side effects, and are non-habit forming.
4. CALL MY BEST FRIEND. My best friend can take me from 100 to 0 in about 3 seconds. She just knows how to get me to calm down, think clearly, and snatch my life back. Sometimes when I get really nervous before a job interview, I call her just so she can tell me to kick a$$ and take names.
We also quote the Help, and tell each other “You is smart. You is kind. You is important.” It’s almost like our little pick-me-up mantra when we are about to enter a stressful situation.
5. FLIP THROUGH PICTURES OF HAPPY TIMES + REMEMBER WHAT’S REALLY THE GOAL. Not all stress is bad stress, so sometimes, I just need to remind myself why I am doing whatever it is I am doing. Last night, I attended an eligible bachelors social in NYC and I have NEVER really dated or put myself in social situations like this to meet men, so I was so nervous – but in a good way.
I had to keep reminding myself that if I want to meet men, I’ve got to get out there and attend events. Tinder is alright, but nothing beats face time when you are meeting someone. AND at events like this, there is no pressure. If a man can’t keep up a conversation, you can keep it moving. The place was so packed that you could literally walk away and never see the same man again. I just kept telling myself not to stress it, and have fun. There’s no pressure to meet my prince charming.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
HOW DO YOU HANDLE STRESS?