Karen Harvey is a powerhouse woman in her field of fashion and technology. I was introduced to Karen after learning about her annual Fashion Tech Forum event happening on October 13, 2016. The event sounded amazing, so I looked into Karen’s background and learned that she’s definitely a mover and a shaker.
She’s been able to combine her backgrounds to craft the ideal career for herself. Knowing this, I was too excited to interview her. BUT, there’s a twist. She’s also has a strong zen meditation practice.
You’ll hear that towards the end of the interview we have a great conversation about fear and what it really means to talk and listen when having conversations.
Fear is not an experience of the present. Fear is actually something that takes over when something in the present reminds us of something that happened before and we don’t want that outcome… Fear is also an anticipation of the future where we’re fantasizing about something going wrong.
1. What led you to launch Fashion tech Forum?
2. 10 years ago, where did you imagine that you would be today?
3. What is your secret to keeping it all together?
4. What’s the most valuable tool that you use daily?
5. Who’s your biggest influence?
6. If someone wanted to do exactly what you do, what would your biggest piece of advice be?
7. Do you still get scared sometimes when you think about the vision you have for your life?
8. What is the quote or life motto that inspires you most?
Book: Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
THE TRUTH MOMENT
I think fear is very important… Fear keeps you awake when going to sleep or being complacent could be really deadly. And so for me it’s not about fear debilitating me at all. I think it’s about fear pushing me to do a little more research.
You know what can I learn more about that company, their strategy and what’s blocking them from hitting their goals…
I’m afraid to not have all the answers. So fear for me – it’s with me all the time. I haven’t achieved all my dreams. I definitely have more. I’m no longer afraid that I won’t achieve them. But I am always afraid that we won’t achieve the standards that I have set out for myself and for my team and that’s kind of the way I am.
To learn more about Fashion Tech Forum and Karen Harvey, please head on over to the website.