Drinking enough water everyday can be a challenge if you are not someone who loves water. Here are 10 ways to help you drink more water everyday. Read and repeat.
- USE A STRAW: There’s something about drinking out of a straw that makes it just a little bit easier.
- BUY A FANCY WATER BOTTLE: If you invest a few dollars into a water bottle that you actually like, you may be more excited to drink more water. This works especially well in the workplace – water bottles can double as desk accessories. [Here are some suggestions!]
- SET AN ALARM EVERY HOUR: Every hour, on the hour – set an alarm to remind you to drink up. Ideally, a cup of water would be great, but even if it’s just a few sips, it helps.
- SPICE IT UP WITH FRUIT: Plain water can easily get boring, so add in a few slices of lemon, lime, berries, or even cucumber! I know this makes me feel like I’m drinking spa water vs plain water from the office fountain.
- DRINK 1 CUP BEFORE EVERY MEAL: Did you know that it’s hard to tell the difference between feeling thirst and hungry? Drinking some water before you eat a meal can help you to avoid overeating.
- EVERY TIME YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM, DRINK 1 CUP: This is another simple habit that you can’t avoid. If you worry about running to the bathroom since you’re drinking more water, try and trick yourself by drinking extra water whenever you have to actually go. You were on your way there anyways, right?
- DRINK 2 CUPS RIGHT BEFORE BED: I know there’s probably no science behind this, but I feel better when I drink a little water before I go to bed. I feel like my skin looks better when I wake up too. Maybe it helps me wake up less dehydrated?
- COMPETE WITH A FRIEND: We are always tracking steps, exercise, and calories – so why not track [and compete] with the amount of water we consume everyday? Now don’t go crazy and over drink – but see who can drink 8 cups of water first.
- BUY A 64OZ BOTTLE AND FINISH IT EVERYDAY. Sometimes it’s easier to stay on track when everything is easily set up for success. You have 1 water bottle with the exact amount of water you need to consume ready to go. 64oz can be hard to find, but if worse comes to worse, you can find a 32oz bottle and only have to refill it once per day.
- FOR EVERY NON-WATER BEVERAGE, DRINK 2 CUPS OF WATER. Are you like my lovely boyfriend who prefers juice instead of water? Well, allow yourself to drink the juice… but then follow up with extra water. This is similar to the age-old drinking trick – for every alcoholic beverage, follow up with water.
It may be a pain – but drinking water has SOOO many benefits – so drink up. Come hell or high water [pun-intended].
Do you have any tips that help you drink more water everyday?